May 27, 2012

Finishing Doll Clothes Seams

My long-term goal is to design doll clothes and sell digital patterns. I decided to reacquaint myself with sewing doll clothes first. This blog is about this process. I learned to sew by making doll clothes, but I'd left the world of doll clothes behind until my granddaughter came into my life.

My recent forage into sewing doll clothes has been time well spent. Here are some examples of what I've learned so far:

1. Avoid choosing patterns with set-in sleeves whenever possible. A doll's arm hole is so small that this process is tricky at best, especially if you don't want your sleeves to pucker. Gathered full sleeves are something else all together; they are still a challenge.

2. Avoid working with velvet and other fabrics that can't be ironed, if the pattern is complicated. Ironing seams is usually one of the keys to good sewing.

3. Make sure that a pattern fits the doll--no matter what measurements are on the envelope--by testing the garment at various stages. Make sure to keep the seams at 1/4 inch.

I learned to set in a sleeve of my own clothing when I was 14 years old. No puckers. I also made myself a beautiful velvet dress my senior year of high school. Numbers 1 and 2 above are recommended for those who want quick success without having potential problems.

Here is the biggest challenge--for me. I like the inside of my garments to look neat and finished. To understand this preference, look at the inside of some doll clothes. The quality of doll clothes vary, depending on the manufacturer. American Girl doll clothes are expensive, but the quality is first rate. Some Target and Walmart doll clothes that can look cheap are acceptable for children, but not for someone like me who notices everything and not for someone who wants to sell their finished product.


The above photo shows the inside of two garments. The checked dress by Madame Alexander is finished with a professional machine. The small hem is turned under one time. The polka dot skirt is sewn by moi. In order to get a clean look I turned the hem under twice before I stitched it, which made it bulkier than I prefer.

Giving doll clothes a finished look is a challenge--for me. If I leave the inside seam raw, it will look ugly, and it will ravel. If I zig-zag the seam with my regular machine, the seam puckers. (I have tried various types of zig-zag stitches on my computerized machine.) If I turn the seam under and stitch it, the garment becomes too bulky. And I end up using more than 1/4 inch for my seams. By the way, general clothing patterns have 5/8-inch seams. Doll clothes patterns have 1/4 inch-seams.

My solution: I recently purchased a Serger at a very reasonable price. The Serger will give my seams a beautiful finish, and I'll be able to make tights, pajamas, underwear and garments that stretch. Although the Serger will help to streamline all my future sewing, it can be a complicated, intimidating machine. (More about mastering the serger in my next blog entry.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

~Thanks for your comment~